The African Champion GM Amin Bassem from Egypt made history for Africa, it is the first time an African qualified for the second round of the World Chess Cup!!! He won his match against GM Ivan Saric of Croatia 2 - 0.
In the secound round, after 2 draws in the classical games against GM Dmitry Jakovenko 2748 of Russia, he drew the first rapid tie-break game but finally lost the match by losing the second rapid game. Tough Luck to our Champion!! It was indeed a wonderful performance!
Final results of the two games of Round 1 for the Africa representatives at World Chess Cup 2015 (http://www.bakuworldcup2015.com):
- African Champion GM Amin Bassem 2640 Egypt 2 - 0 GM Ivan Saric 2678 Croatia.
- Runner-up African Champion GM Adly Ahmed 2591 Egypt 0.5 - 1.5 GM Vassily Ivanchuk 2726 Ukraine.
- Zone 4.2 Champion IM Ssegwanyi Arthur 2357 Uganda 0.5 - 1.5 GM Anish Giri 2793 Netherlands.
- Zone 4.1 Champion FM Zaibi amir 2330 Tunisia 0 - 2 GM Fabiano Caruana 2808 USA.
- Zone 4.3 Champion IM Phiri Richmond 2291 Zambia 0 - 2 GM Hikaru Nakamura 2814 USA.
- Zone 4.4 Champion IM Adu Oladapo 2241 Nigeria 0 - 2 GM Veselin Topalov 2816 Bulgaria.
Congratulations to all of them for the great effort!!
All the African Chess community is so proud of our Champions!!!